Here is quite a useful early strategy I have found from another blog. Definitely worth a look, some excellent resources and ideas!
The following describes how I am teaching my boy phonics at home.
1. Arrange the at, an, ap, at in a row.
2. Teach the child how to read each of the 2 letter words. Then mix up the words :
I say a word "at", then ask my boy to pick up the correct word for me. I continue to say one word at a time until he picks up all the cards.
2. Then give the child one word, for example, "cat". Teach him to read the word, c - at, cat. Read this web page Make a word : AT to learn how to teach.
3. Then ask him to put the word "cat" in the same column as "at", as shown in this photo.
4. Then give him another word, for example, "fan". Teach him to read f - an, fan. Read this web page Make a Word : AN to learn how to teach.
5. Then ask him to put in the same column as "an".
6. As the child becomes more confident, give him a word, and let him put in the correct position without helping him.
7. You can mix up the words. Then say a word, like "can" and ask him to pick up the correct word. Continue until he picks up all the words. In this way, you can make sure that he is really paying attention and learning.